Language Arts: (Also see Oral Traditions in the Meaningful Contributions section)
Seven Sacred Teachings : From Alberta Regional Professional Development Consortia, this website includes information and lesson plans related to the seven sacred teachings. (Primary, Intermediate, Middle, Secondary)
Aboriginal Terminology From indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.ca , an information resource on key topics relating to the histories, politics, and cultures of the Aboriginal peoples of Canada. (High School, ProD)
English 10 and 11 First Peoples Teacher Resource Guide : FNESC developed lesson plans using authentic First Peoples resources and the BC curriculum standards for the high school English program. Includes a listing of thoroughly annotated professionally reviewed resources. (High School)
English 12 First People Teacher Resource Guide : FNESC developed lesson plans using authentic First Peoples resources and the BC curriculum standards for the high school English program. Includes a listing of thoroughly annotated professionally reviewed resources. (High School)
Story Telling As An Oral History : “This lesson introduces students to oral story telling of the Sq’éwlets people through the story of Th’owxeya (the cannibal woman). Students will learn the traditions around oral story telling and make connections to the local environment.” This lesson focuses on the Sq’éwlets people who are part of the larger Stó:lō Nation.
Richard Wagamese : Canadian Encyclopedia biography.
- Ojibway author Richard Wagamese found salvation in stories : Marsha Leaderman, Globe and Mail : March 24, 2017 [May 16, 2018])
- A conversation with Indian Horse author Richard Wagamese : (Fish Griwkowsky, Edmonston Journal : November 17, 2014)
- Shelagh Rogers tribute to Richard Wagamese : “We replay an interview from 2014 where Shelagh Rogers interviews Richard Wagamese.” (CBC Radio) (audio 22:32 min.)
- Richard Wagamese on his novel Indian Horse : (The Next Chapter, CBC [Radio] Archives : June 28, 2012) (audio 18:15 min.)
- Richard Wagamese 3 Performance Storytelling : YouTube video of Richard Wagamese storytelling. (video 6:44 min.)
- Richard Wagamese 2015 Matt Cohen Award Speech : Mr. Wagamese speaks eloquently about what the life of a writer is like in this Writers Trust of Canada award speech. Partial text of the speech is included. (video 4:45 min.)
Rita Joe : Biography of Rita Joe by Mi’qmaq Elder Daniel N. Paul
- “I Lost My Talk” : Poem text.
- I Lost My Talk Rita Joe – Turning a painful past into poetry : A video [10:40 min.] from Red Power TV (Indigenous RPTV) showing the background to the creation of an artistic performance of Mi’kmaq Rita Joe’s famous poem.
- ” I Lost My Talk” video : “High school students from Iqaluit, Nunavut participate in a songwriting workshop hosted by Qaggiq partner National Arts Centre”
Kalolin Johnson – Gentle Warrior (featuring Devon Paul and Thunder Herney) video: Inspired by Rita Joe’s “I Lost My Talk”, Mik’maq muscians wrote and performed this song.